ube

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Halifax, NS – East Coast rapper and one half of The Search duo, Quake Matthews just released a new solo cut in collaboration with Reeny Smith titled “Just Another Love Story.”
The track was produced by Classified and serves as a commentary on the parallel between romantic relationships and Quake’s own relationship with alcohol over the last decade. Quake personified alcohol as a female he’s having relations with, and he takes us through the highs and lows of trying to navigate a love story.
It’s not a glorification of drinking; and it’s definitely not a write-off on drinking for Quake, either. It’s simply a look at both the joy and devastation that go hand-in-hand with any relationship. Check out “Just Another Love Story” below, and scope our Q&A with Quake after the jump.
New music: Quake Matthews gets personal with Love Yourself & Real Friends remixes - HipHopCanada.com

Q&A: Quake Matthews

HipHopCanada: Start off by telling me about what this song means to you on a personal level.
Quake Matthews: Basically this song is me giving alcohol female characteristics to describe my relationship with it over the past 10 or 12 years.
HipHopCanada: Since it’s almost Valentines Day, it seems like this is a song directed at a female. But your muse is the booze. What was it like writing a love song about alcohol?
Quake Matthews: I feel like there was a lot of parallels between romantic relationships and my relationship with alcohol and also a lot of relatable metaphors that are accurate in describing both. I wanted to really demonstrate how thin the line between love and hate can truly be; but from a different perspective then a typical love song.
HipHopCanada: Are you currently working on sobriety?
Quake Matthews: I wouldn’t say I’ve ever had a serious problem with alcohol to the point where I needed to seek help. But being a performer, I’ve always used it as a way to lessen my stage anxiety. In my younger years there was a lot of times when it worked against me and made for sloppy performances, altercations, etc. But over the years I like to think I’ve learned my limits. I’ve learned to be careful and really monitor it, especially on tour when I know I have to perform almost every night.
HipHopCanada: This is arguably one of your more vulnerable records. What was it like to open yourself up like that and use your craft to show your struggle?
Quake Matthews: All of my music is super honest. A lot of artists – especially in rap – are afraid to be vulnerable because of how it might make them look. At the end of the day, everybody is human and I’ve never had a problem being myself and saying exactly what’s on my mind in my music. And that’s why I think so many people are able to relate to it.
HipHopCanada: I’m curious as to what your commentary on actual love is… since this song is basically saying that love and substance abuse play out the same way.
Quake Matthews: Like I said before, I feel like there are so many parallels between the two. A person can make you feel great one night and then the next day can easily get into an argument and feel like shit (aka: the hangover). I feel like every ongoing relationship has some sort of underlying love-hate thing to it. There’s no such thing as a perfect relationship, no matter what the dynamic is.
HipHopCanada: How did the collaborations with Class and Reeny come about for this one?
Quake Matthews: I’ve always been a fan of Class since I was a little kid. And over the past 10 years or so, he’s become a friend and a mentor. Over the years we’ve tried to work together before and for whatever reason, most of the time it didn’t really turn into anything because I lacked direction. This time I already had the song written and knew exactly where I wanted to go with it. So the results were a lot better and this is one I can say I’m proud of. It’s all a learning experience to me, and I feel like I’m really starting to mature as an artist. Prior to making this song I was featured on one of Reeny’s singles. She’s a super cool person and has an amazing talent. So I thought it would only made sense to reverse the roles and have her feature on one of mine.
HipHopCanada: What do you want listeners to take away from hearing this?
Quake Matthews: I feel like everyone relates to songs in their own way. Certain lines resonate different with different people because not everybody has he same experience. As my dude Kayo would say: “I just want you to feel something!” Whatever that is, is up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment