ube

Sunday, May 7, 2017

King Push: ShaqIsDope breaks down his new Pusha T homage track

Toronto, ON – Toronto artist ShaqIsDope recently released a brand new track titled “King Push” as homage to the G.O.A.T. Pusha T.
This is an original record with production courtesy of Mark Niels. ShaqIsDope mimics Push’s flow and adds in a sample of the infamous Pusha grunt. When I saw the title of this track I assumed it was gonna be a freestyle. But it’s not. Stylistically, Shaq takes a page out of Push’s books by hitting us with a Pusha T-type flow and delivery, as well as a slapper of a beat that Pusha T definitely would have rapped over.
Check out “King Push” below, and scope our Q&A with ShaqIsDope after the jump.
Sean Leon releases extended trailer for Life When You're The Movie; announces film premiere for Jan. 23 - HipHopCanada.com

Q&A: ShaqIsDope

HipHopCanada: Start off by telling me what this song means to you on a personal level and why you chose to pay homage to Push.
ShaqIsDope: Personally this songs means a lot to me because Pusha T was one of the rappers I studied to elevate my craft. And when the song came out dope. It was the icing on the cake. I had to pay homage as a student of the game, and as a fan. It was only right.
HipHopCanada: I assumed when I saw the “King Push” title that this was just going to be a freestyle over “King Push.” But I love how you approached this by making it an original homage track. Talk to me about your approach for making this.
ShaqIsDope: It was really based off my emotions. As soon as I heard the beat, the lyrics for the hook came to me right away… and I was like… this is the one! I have to pay homage to Push on this. Also ’cause I can hear him on the beat.
HipHopCanada: How did the collaboration with Mark Niels come about for this one, and what was your vision for the production? What elements did you want to make sure were incorporated to pay proper respects to Pusha T?
ShaqIsDope: The beat landed in my email and off of the first play I knew it was perfect. I wanted to talk about the aspects of the street life and things that I know about it. And Pusha T raps about it so well, so I had to make it in a way that he could relate to it
HipHopCanada: I found it really interesting that you attempted to do the Push flow on here. You even incorporated his whole “YUGHH” grunt thing.
ShaqIsDope: Haha. Yeah. With the flow I wanted to pay total homage. And the “yuhhhh” adlib was actually a clip I chopped up from his past interview with Hot 97.
HipHopCanada: Artistically and personally, what are the similarities between yourself and Pusha T?
ShaqIsDope: I think we are both lyricists and we take pride in that with our art. Personally I think we come from the same world with being involved in the street life.
HipHopCanada: What’s your favourite Pusha T (or Clipse) song of all time, and why?
ShaqIsDope: My favourite Pusha T song is “Blocka.” The way he flowed on that was crazy the beat is a banger. But what really made it top-notch were the visuals; it inspired me a whole lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment